The old mill at Ebridge, on the North Walsham and Dilham canal, has lain dormant for many years. Apart from becoming a spacious loft for a flock of feral pigeons, the only conversion that took place was from flour mill to rumour mill. Various projects were put forward from several quarters but none ever reached fruition. Every failed application generated more rumours and precious few facts. That was until Barn Owl Conversions took over and got things moving.
Ebridge was owned by Cubitt and Walker from 1883 until 1998 when it was sold to W. L. Duffield and son of Saxlingham. In its time the mill has been powered by water, steam and finally electricity.
Wherries served the mill via the North Walsham and Dilham canal until the 1930s when waterborne trade was superseded by road transport.
Over the last few months work has begun clearing the site and renovating the mill buildings. It is only fitting that the old mill is beginning a new career in the form of residential properties and not suffering the same fate as Briggate mill, her near neighbour a few miles downstream.
For a full history of Ebridge mill please see Norfolk mills site
Post a Comment